Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Foodie Files

Today's Foodie Files may surprise you.  In fact, it surprised me.  But exploring uncharted territory is certainly fun and that's exactly what I had to do to come up with this recipe...inspired by none other than the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme.  I know, I know- a fast food girl I am not- but I dabbled a bit in college and I've gotta admit...the crunchwrap wasn't the worst thing I've ever had.  When I had an oh so random craving for one the other day I ran to the grocery store and got to work.  The goal was, of course, to capture the essence of the crunch wrap but up the ante quite a bit with the quality of ingredients.  The reviews were overwhelmingly positive, but I think next time I'll go even more over the top with ingredients...slow cooked seasoned chicken, corn salsa, the works.  All I know is my brother is gonna love this when he gets back from tour!

Ingredients:
1.5lbs 80/20 ground beef
1/2 packet taco seasoning
1 large beefsteak tomato
1 cup shredded lettuce
10oz Cilantro and Lime Rotel
16oz Queso Blanco
4 corn tortillas
4 flour burrito-size tortillas

Saute ground beef and add taco seasoning according to package instructions.  While the beef cooks, set oven to broil high.  Cover a baking sheet with foil and set corn tortillas on top, making sure they don't overlap.  When the oven comes to temperature, broil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until crispy.


Microwave queso blanco and rotel for 1 minute 30 seconds, then stir.  Microwave an additional minute if necessary.  Assemble crunchwraps one at a time...start by microwaving a flour tortilla for 10 seconds.  Place fully cooked ground beef in the center, then top with tomato slices, queso and lettuce.


Top with a crunchy corn tortilla and wrap flour tortilla like picture below.  I grilled mine in a flat griddle panini press, but a lightly oiled pan over medium high heat would do the trick too.  


Eat as is or top with sour cream, guacamole, salsa or the vice of your choice.  De-lish!

0 comments:

Post a Comment