Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Foodie Files

The majority of the Foodie Files I post are simple to make but look complicated...it's a winning combo if you ask me.  Today's recipe is, somewhat unfortunately, the total opposite.  At least for me, anyway.  For some reason I've always had a difficult relationship with rice...while it's easy in theory, I've discovered an astounding number of ways to mess it up.  I've watched my Mom make flawless rice no less than 100 times, but over the Christmas holiday I made sure to write down every detail possible so I could 1) perfect the art on my own and 2) share the details with you!  My parents are big fans of a brown rice blend called Jubilee Rice (which you can buy here, by the way) so that's what we used.  It gets two thumbs way up from me, for the record.

Ingredients:
4 cups water
2 1/2 cups rice
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt


Pour rice, water, extra virgin olive oil and salt in a medium sized pot.  Cook over high heat until it comes to a boil.  Stir, then let boil briskly for at least a minute.


Lower the heat to very low, cover and don't touch for 40-45 minutes (which is the hardest part for me).  Jubilee Rice takes nearly twice as long to cook as regular rice, but the rest of the tips and tricks apply.  Wish me luck, folks...I'm giving this a shot on my own!

0 comments:

Post a Comment