Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Foodie Files

Today's Foodie Files was born, as so many of them are, from a craving.  An Italian wedding soup craving, to be exact.  I switched out a few things to accommodate my grocery store's shortcomings (swiss chard for escarole) and my own just-cause-I-feel-like-it-in-the-moment preference (ditalini for orzo).  While the timing is a tad bit tricky, the recipe itself is quite simple.  It took me a few minutes to feel comfortable with the idea of throwing the meatballs into the soup uncooked, but they cooked all the way through without an issue and didn't appear to add any fat to the broth at all (my two main concerns).  It definitely earned it's place on my "make this again" list.  Very tasty.

1 lb 90/10 ground beef
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
2 TBS fresh, chopped parsley
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, diced
1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
1 head of swiss chard, chopped
1/2 cup ditalini pasta
6 cups chicken broth
6 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste

In medium bowl combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and parsley, then shape into 3/4" balls.


In a large pot, saute shallots and carrots in oil.  Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until tender.  Add broth and heat until boiling.  Add meatballs and let cook for 8-10 minutes.  Add ditalini and cook for 8 additional minutes.


Remove from heat and add swiss chard. (I used rainbow swiss chard...isn't it pretty?)  Stir until greens are tender and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment