Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Foodie Files

This is my second year attempting to make Irish food for St. Patricks Day and- despite the fact that last year was great- I'm stressed about it.  The thing is, it's totally my fault...I hear myself saying "hey, everyone come over my house for Irish food this weekend!  We'll celebrate St. Patricks Day!"...after which I immediately remember "wait a minute...you don't like Irish food".  Regardless, it just seems like the right thing to do.  Plus it's always good to stretch yourself.  I'm not sure what I'll make Saturday, but I pre-gamed with a little Guinness chocolate cake.  I based the recipe on this one from Taste of Home and was super happy with it.  In fact, I'd probably make it even if it wasn't part of a silly celebration!  So, what's your plan for 'ol St. Patty's Day?  Anything exciting?

Ingredients:

1 cup Guinness beer
1/2 cup butter, cubed
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup baking cocoa
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sour cream
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Cream cheese icing

Grease a 9-in. springform pan and set aside.  In a medium to large saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted.  Remove from heat and whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended.


Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture. 



Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth.   


Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Remove sides of pan and cool completely on a wire rack.


Once cooled, spread that icing and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment