Thursday, March 25, 2010

“By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my favorite things in all the world is a good quote.  I can most certainly relate to Quote Garden creator Terri Guillemets when she said, “I swim across a sea of quotes, splashing in the words and riding across the waves of wisdom”.  I mean, I’m barely three sentences into this post and I’ve already quoted two quotes about quotes!  But really, what’s not to love? Quotes summarize, give credibility, and bring to memory beautiful ideas and sentiments that we may have never articulated on our own.  And when it comes to the world of design, I’m happy to report there is a place for them!  Here are some ideas for incorporating quotes into your home for any fellow word lovers out there.

Quotes on your walls



When you have a large space to fill you quickly realize two things.  1) Large art is expensive.  2) Lots of small art...is also expensive.  Consider this one case where a picture may not, in fact, be worth a thousand words.  It’s easy and affordable to make a space beautiful with a carefully selected quote applied directly to the wall.  Many home stores have recognized this growing trend and now sell pre-designed quotes in a peel-and-stick fashion. Hobby Lobby, for example, has a great selection for between $20 and $30.  If you’re comfortable spending marginally more, you can get a fully customized quote- any saying, color, or size.  This is where you can really start to get creative.  Most sites we visited gave you the option to choose one of their quotes or to write one entirely from scratch.  My favorite was Wall Written, but Quote the Walls and Wall Words are very user friendly as well.  

Dinnerware Quotes


Yet another really grand idea we noticed at the Architectural Digest Home Design Show was the use of quotes on dinnerware.  I thought it was such a novel concept that I came back and googled every variation of “plates with quotes” I could come up with in an attempt to share our discovery with you.  After an exhaustive search I came to the conclusion that I may be presenting this idea before the market is ready for it.  Only Andy Warhol and Emeril Lagasse’s camps appeared to be producing anything remotely similar to what I was searching for.  Though I was glad to find someone on the same page as me in theory, my ultimate goal was to find classic quotes (not a catchphrases or nonsensical musings) so my search was essentially a bust.  If you’re interested in setting a trend, however, you can always custom order plates adorned with the quotes of your choice at Enduring Images.  While most sites like it have outrageous minimum purchases, Enduring Images allows you to order just one plate if you want- and they have no set up fees to boot.  It may not be the easiest way to incorporate quotes into your home, but it sure is unexpected and fun!
Pillow Quotes

I know what you’re thinking...aren’t quotes on pillows totally kitschy?  Now, if we’re talking about a zebra print pillow trimmed in red feathers that says “It’s Five ‘O Clock Somewhere”, than yes, they are.  But, like most things, used in the right home, in the right way, they can really add to a space.  We found really plain pillows like the one above decorated with all kinds of inspiring quotes at Cafe Press.  I don’t have to tell you this is not the pillow you want to put on your $10,000 couch, but this concept would work great in a younger person’s bedroom or apartment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment