Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Be the Change


I read an Edward Everett Hale quote years ago that’s always stuck with me- it said “I am only one, but I am one.  I can’t do everything, but I can do something…and I will not let what I can not do stop me from doing what I can”. That being said, lately I keep finding myself in a mood that is all but impossible to describe without seeming disingenuous.  Simply put, I have the strongest urge to help whoever, however and wherever I can.  Sure, I can’t change the world by myself, but if I’m willing I sure can change someone’s world…and so can you!  If your interest is piqued but you’re not sure where to start, try something simple like purchasing a product that benefits a cause.  If you need a new pair of shoes, consider buying a pair of Toms…for every pair sold, a pair is donated to a child in need.  Looking for a cute purse?  Check out Puresa Organics…all their bags are hand made by women rescued from Human Trafficing.  For a trendy necklace look no further than Project AK-47…they created dog tags with the names and ages of 100,000 active child soldiers in Burma, Sri Lanka and the Philippines as part of their ‘wear their reality’ movement.  They’re more than just an awareness campaign and remain dedicated to freeing and recuperating as many precious children as humanly possible from the unspeakable violence of war.  There are so many organizations that work really hard to meet needs as well as provide a great product…for a beautiful way to outfit your home and do something good all at once, pick up an Altru candle.  Created by Manuela Testolini, Altru means “unselfishly giving of one’s self to others”.  Her beautiful candles and home fragrances are sold to support In A Perfect World, a non-profit organization that helps support the education of underprivileged children here in the United State, as well as in developing countries such as Haiti and Mali, West Africa.  You can buy an Altru candle at Neiman Marcus, Bergdof Goodman, ABC Carpet and Home, or online by clicking here.  While they’ll cost you a little more than what you may have budgeted for candle expenses (right at $50), it’s a wonderful way to positively impact our world.  






0 comments:

Post a Comment